Minor children: How do I obtain a visa for Canada?

Canada eTA application for children : Documents, parental consent and online procedure for this travel authorisation.

Apply for an eTA for Canada! Read more
Do children need an eTA?

If you are planning to have your child travel to Canada, it is crucial to understand the Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) application process. The eTA is an essential requirement for nationals of visa-exempt countries wishing to enter Canada by air. This page has been specially designed to help you, as a parent or legal guardian, successfully navigate the steps involved in applying for an eTA for your minor child. The eTA is much more than just an administrative form. It is the electronic sesame that allows your child to discover the wonders of Canada in complete safety and in compliance with the regulations in force. By understanding the prerequisites, the necessary documents and the application process, you can ensure that your child's trip runs smoothly and with complete peace of mind.

In this article, we'll guide you through each stage of the process, providing clear information and practical advice. Before delving into the details, let's briefly review the importance of the eTA as a travel authorisation and clarify how this page can help you in the process of obtaining a Canada eTA for your minor child.

Apply for an eTA for Canada!

Prerequisites and essential information on eTA for children

The Electronic Travel Authorization, more commonly known as the eTA, is a required electronic authorization for nationals of visa-exempt countries wishing to enter Canada by air. Designed to simplify and speed up the admission process, the eTA is electronically linked to the traveller's passport and is valid for a specified period. This authorisation allows customs and immigration officers to assess the traveller's compliance with entry requirements even before he or she embarks for Canada.

The eTA applies to citizens of certain specific countries who are exempt from visa requirements for tourist, business or transit visits to Canada. Eligible countries include the European Union, the United Kingdom, Australia, Mexico and Japan. However, it is important to note that the list of eligible countries may change, so it is advisable to check regularly for updates with official sources.

Obtaining an eTA for a minor child is subject to certain conditions, including the minimum age required. The Canadian authorities require minors to have their own eTA, even if they are travelling with their parents or legal guardians. This ensures that everyone entering Canada has the appropriate and necessary authorisation.


Preparing to apply for an eTA for a minor child

Before you start applying for an eTA for a minor child, make sure you have gathered all the necessary documents. Careful preparation will ensure that the application process runs smoothly and without unnecessary delays. Here is a list of the documents generally required for an eTA application for a minor:

  • Minor's passport: The minor's passport must be valid for the duration of the planned stay in Canada.
  • Parent's or guardian's passport: The passport of the parent or legal guardian accompanying the child must also be valid.
  • Passport photo: A recent photo complying with standards must be provided for minors.
  • Parental Consent: A consent document signed by the parents or legal guardians authorising the child's travel and the eTA application must be included. Be sure to check specific parental consent requirements by consulting official resources.
  • Travel Itinerary: A copy of the flight reservation or other documents confirming the travel details.
  • Information on the Parent or Guardian: Detailed information on the parent or legal guardian accompanying the child will be required to complete the application.
  • Means of payment: The eTA fee must be paid when submitting the application. Make sure you have a valid means of payment.

Apply for an eTA for Canada!

Parental consent for obtaining an eTA for a minor

Obtaining parental consent is a crucial factor when applying for an eTA for a minor child. The Canadian authorities attach great importance to the safety and well-being of children travelling alone or accompanied by adults other than their parents. This is why it is imperative to provide written consent from the parents or legal guardians, authorising the child's travel and the application for an eTA.

Parental consent demonstrates that the parents or guardians are fully aware of and in agreement with the child's travel to Canada. This helps the border authorities to ensure that the child is travelling with the appropriate authorisation and that he or she is looked after throughout the stay.


Application process for an eTA for a minor

The online eTA application form is designed to collect essential information about the traveller, including minors. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you complete the application form:

  • Visit the official website or a partner website offering eTA.
  • Go to the eTA request section and select "New Request".
  • Fill in the minor's personal details, including name, date of birth, gender and nationality.
  • Provide details of the parent or guardian accompanying the minor, such as name, relationship, address, etc.
  • Give precise answers to questions about your trip, itinerary and length of stay.
  • Download the required documents, including the minor's passport photo, passports and signed parental consent.
  • Check all the information provided carefully to avoid errors or omissions.
  • Pay the cost of the eTA using one of the accepted payment methods.

Once all the information has been entered correctly and the documents have been uploaded, you can submit the eTA application for the minor. Make sure you keep a copy of the application confirmation for your personal records.

To obtain an eTA for a minor, an administrative fee must be paid. These fees contribute to the processing of the application and the verification of the information by the Canadian authorities. Fee amounts may vary and it is recommended that you check the current fees on the CBSA's official website at the time of application. Accepted payment methods may include credit or debit cards.

Before submitting the eTA application for a minor, it is essential to check carefully all the information provided on the form. Errors or omissions could lead to delays in processing the application or even to refusal of the eTA. Make sure that names, dates of birth, passport numbers and all other information are correct and consistent with official documents.

Once you have completed the eTA application form for the minor and checked all the information carefully, you can proceed to submit the application. Here's how to do it:

  • Click on the "Submit" button at the end of the form.
  • Wait for the system to confirm receipt of your request and provide you with a request number.
  • Keep this application number in a safe place, as you will need it to track the status of your application.

After submission, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will review your application and inform you by e-mail whether the eTA has been approved or what the next steps are if it is refused.

Apply for an eTA for Canada!

Do you have any doubts?

Check if your question has already been answered in the list below

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is essential for all minors travelling to Canada by air, even if accompanied by their parents or guardians. The eTA ensures that the Canadian authorities are informed of the child's journey, thereby enhancing their safety and compliance with the regulations in force.

To apply for an eTA for a minor, you will need the valid passport of both the child and the parent or guardian, an identity photo of the minor, a signed parental consent document, the travel itinerary and details of the parent or guardian accompanying the child.

Parental consent is a crucial step. It must be included when submitting the eTA application for a minor. This document shows that the parents or guardians authorise the child's travel and eTA application. Make sure you fill in the parental consent letter template and upload it with the other documents required when submitting the application.