If you are planning to travel to India from Switzerland, for tourism, business or any other reason, you will need to obtain a visa before your departure. This page will provide you with all the information you need to understand and undertake the visa application process from Switzerland.
Whether you opt for an online visa or a traditional visa, we will guide you through every step of the process, providing you with the necessary documents, visa fees, processing times and practical advice for a successful application.
How does the online visa for India from Switzerland work?
The online visa, also known as the electronic visa or e-visa, is a convenient and quick way to obtain a visa for India without having to physically visit the embassy or visa application centre. It is a fully electronic process that can be completed from the comfort of your home or office, using a visa service provider website.
The online visa offers many advantages for Swiss travellers to India. Here are some of the main advantages:
- Simplicity and convenience: With an online visa, you can avoid the hassle of visiting a visa application centre or sending documents by post. The whole process is done online, saving you time and energy.
- Speed of processing: Online visas offer faster processing times than traditional visas. In many cases, you can get your visa online in just a few working days, which is ideal if you have time constraints for your trip.
- Accessibility: You can access the online visa application site at any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This gives you the freedom to submit your application at your own pace, according to your availability.
- Online tracking: Once you have submitted your visa application online, you can easily track the status of your application online. This will keep you informed of the progress of your application and let you know when your visa is ready for download.
Online visa application process on a service provider website
Now that we've looked at the advantages of an online visa, let's take a look at the steps involved in applying for a visa online from Switzerland.
Step 1: Complete the online application form
The first step is to fill in the online application form on the official website or a private service provider website. You will need to provide personal details, travel details, your passport and other relevant information.
Please ensure that you provide accurate and complete information when entering your details on the form. Any errors or omissions may result in a delay in processing your application.
Step 2: Download the required documents
Once you have completed the online application form, you will need to upload the required documents. These documents may include a copy of your passport, a recent photograph, details of your travel itinerary and other relevant documents.
Carefully check the specific requirements for documents and make sure you upload them in the required formats (usually PDF or JPEG).
Step 3: Pay the visa fee
Once you have uploaded the required documents, you will need to pay the visa fee online. The price may vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for and the length of your stay in India. Be sure to check the applicable fees before making your payment.
Step 4: Submit the application online
Once you have completed the form, uploaded the required documents and paid the visa fee, you can submit your application online. Make sure you carefully review all the information provided before submitting your application, as any errors could result in your application being rejected.
The processing time for online visa applications generally varies from 2 to 5 working days, but may be longer in some cases.
Documents required to apply for a visa to India from Switzerland
When preparing your visa application for India from Switzerland, it is important to know what documents are required. The requirements may vary depending on whether you are applying for an online visa or a traditional visa. Here is a list of the documents required to apply for an online visa or e-visa for India from Switzerland:
- Passport: Your passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of your intended entry into India. Make sure you have at least two blank pages in your passport for affixing the visa.
- Photograph: You will need to upload a recent digital photograph in accordance with the specifications indicated on the online visa application site.
- Travel itinerary: Provide details of your travel itinerary, including arrival and departure dates and the places you plan to visit in India.
- Proof of flight: You will need to provide a copy of your confirmed return flight ticket or full travel itinerary.
- Proof of accommodation: Submit a hotel booking confirmation or a letter of invitation from a host in India, depending on your situation.
- Personal information: You will need to provide information such as your address, occupation, contact details, as well as details of your marital status and nationality.
Further information on visas for India from Switzerland
The validity of a visa for India from Switzerland may vary depending on the type of visa and the specific circumstances of your trip. Online visas (e-visa) are generally valid for between 30 days and 5 years, depending on the type of visa requested. It is important to check the period of validity of the visa before travelling, as you will not be allowed to stay in India beyond the period specified on your visa.
In addition to a valid visa, there are certain conditions for entering India that you must meet. You will need to present your passport with the visa when you arrive in India. The Indian authorities may also ask you to provide information about your accommodation in India, your travel itinerary and your travel insurance. Make sure you have these documents to hand when you arrive.
If you wish to extend your stay in India beyond the period specified on your visa, you will need to apply for a visa extension. Applications for visa extensions must be submitted to the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in India. It is advisable to start the extension process at least a few weeks before your visa expires.