Why is an ESTA denied and what to do next?
Need help with an ESTA denial? Consult our guide to find out why and how to avoid mistakes.
If you are planning to travel to the United States, you have probably already heard of ESTA, the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. This system is used to allow citizens of certain countries, including the UK, to enter the US for tourist or business travel of less than 90 days without needing a visa. However, there are times when your ESTA application may be denied. On this page, we will explain why this might happen and what to do if it does.
Common reasons for refusal of ESTA :
If you have submitted an ESTA application to travel to the United States and have received a response indicating that your application has been denied, this can be a source of stress and confusion. There are several common reasons why an ESTA application may be refused, but fortunately there are possible solutions for every situation.
- Errors in the application: One of the main reasons for refusal of the ESTA is errors or incomplete information in the application. It is important to carefully check all information entered, including names, dates of birth and passport numbers to avoid refusal.
- Criminal or health history: One of the requirements for admission to the United States is that you do not have a criminal or health history that could pose a threat to public safety. If you have been convicted of a crime or suffer from a contagious disease, this could result in your ESTA application being denied.
- Length of stay or purpose of travel: The ESTA is intended for tourist, business or transit travel, with a maximum stay of 90 days. If you plan to stay longer or if the reason for your trip does not fit into these categories, your ESTA application may be denied.
- Links to high-risk countries: If you have visited countries that pose a security risk to the United States, your ESTA application may be denied. Risk countries are generally those where there has been recent terrorist activity or armed conflict.
What to do if the ESTA is denied?
If your ESTA application has been denied, do not panic. There are several options to remedy the situation. Here's what you can do:
- Check the information provided: If the refusal is due to errors or incomplete information, you can submit a new application with the correct information. It is indeed possible that you made a simple mistake when filling in your application form, which resulted in an incompatibility with ESTA rules.
- Apply for a visitor's visa: If you are eligible, you can apply for a visitor's visa at the US embassy or consulate in your country. This will allow you to travel to the US for the same purposes as the ESTA. It should be noted, however, that the traditional visa application process is generally longer than the ESTA process and may require travel and payment of higher fees.
- Appeal the decision: If you believe that the refusal of your application is unjustified, you can appeal the decision to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP). However, this does not guarantee that you will be successful as you will first need to understand the reason for the refusal and prove that it was a mistake.
In conclusion, it is important to understand the common reasons for ESTA refusal in order to prevent any errors or omissions when submitting your application. If your application is denied, do not panic, as there are options to remedy the situation.
What advice do I need to follow to avoid being refused ESTA?
If you are planning to travel to the United States, it is important to complete your ESTA application correctly to avoid refusal. Here are some tips to help you avoid common mistakes and the most common reasons for denial:
- Check information carefully before submitting your application: When completing your ESTA application, be sure to check all information carefully before submitting it. This includes your personal information, your passport, your travel itinerary and your answers to the application questions. Any errors or inconsistencies in the information may result in a refusal.
- Be honest and transparent: The US authorities carefully check the information provided in the ESTA application. Be honest and transparent in your answers to the questions in the application. If you provide incorrect or misleading information, this may result in a refusal. It is therefore recommended that you answer the questions on the application form as honestly as possible.
- Prepare your information in advance: Before you complete your ESTA application, make sure you have all the necessary information at hand, including your passport, flight information and US addresses. This will help you complete the application accurately and avoid mistakes.
- Avoid common mistakes: Common mistakes in the ESTA application include typos, date errors and incomplete information. Check all information carefully before submitting your application.
- Choose a quality site: By choosing a quality service provider to apply for your ESTA, you will limit the risk of errors that could lead to your authorisation being refused. We recommend the services of a private service provider that we have selected for you.
By following these simple tips, you can increase your chances of succeeding with your ESTA application and avoid any refusals. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your ESTA application, please do not hesitate to contact the official US government website or the relevant authorities for assistance.
Where should I apply for ESTA to avoid rejection?
When applying for ESTA authorisation to travel to the United States, it is important to apply on the official website or on reliable websites.
It is indeed possible to use private service providers who offer online assistance in completing the ESTA application and check the information provided to avoid errors. These service providers can be of great help to people who are not comfortable with the administrative formalities or who have specific questions.
These providers can also provide assistance in the event of an ESTA refusal, helping to identify the reason for the refusal and offering alternative solutions if possible. They also often offer assistance in filling in the form.
In particular, you can use the service provider we have selected on our site, who will offer you a simple form, help with filling it in and the possibility of checking your answers before validating the application in order to avoid an error that could lead to a refusal.
Check if your question has already been answered in the list below