When you're planning to travel to India, obtaining a visa is an essential step to take. A visa is an official document issued by the Indian authorities that allows you to enter and stay in the country legally for a specified period. Whether you intend to visit the magnificent monuments, discover the cultural diversity or carry out professional activities in India, a visa is an essential prerequisite for all foreign travellers. It is important to note that there are two main options for obtaining a visa for India: the traditional visa and the online visa. The traditional visa requires a visit to the Indian embassy or consulate in your country of residence, while the online visa, also known as the electronic visa (e-Visa), allows you to apply online, offering a more convenient and quicker process. In the following sections, we'll look in more detail at the application process, the types of visas available and the fees associated with each option, to help you make an informed decision for your trip to India.
How much does a traditional visa for India cost?
The process of applying for a traditional visa to India usually involves going to the Indian embassy or consulate in your country of residence. You will need to complete an application form, provide the required documents such as your passport, photographs, a travel itinerary and proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay in India.Traditional visa fees for India vary depending on the type of visa requested. Fees may also vary depending on the nationality of the applicant and the length of validity of the visa. Here is a general estimate of traditional visa fees for different types of visa:
- Tourist visa: This type of visa is intended for people wishing to visit India for holidays, family visits or general tourism. It is generally valid for between 30 days and 10 years, with stays of up to 180 days.
- Business visa: If you are planning to visit India for business meetings, conferences, trade negotiations or to explore investment opportunities, you will need to apply for a business visa. The period of validity and specific conditions depend on the nature of your trip and the bilateral agreements between India and your country.
- Work visa: If you have obtained employment in India or have been transferred by your company to an Indian subsidiary, you will need to apply for a work visa. This type of visa often requires the submission of additional documents, such as a job offer, a letter of invitation from the employer and proof of professional qualifications.
- Other specific types of visa: India also offers other types of visa for specific situations, such as student visas, research visas, medical visas, journalist visas, etc. Conditions and requirements vary according to each type of visa.
The price of a traditional visa for India with a validity of 90 days and multiple entries is €105, whether it is for a 3-month, 6-month or 1-year visa. However, it is important to note that visa fees may vary depending on the applicant's nationality and the bilateral agreements between India and the applicant's country of origin. It is therefore advisable to consult the official resources of the Indian embassy or consulate in your country of residence for the most up-to-date and accurate information on visa fees.
Indian e-visa or online visa prices
The online visa, also known as the electronic visa (e-Visa), is a convenient option for obtaining a visa for India. The application process is entirely online, with no need to visit the Indian embassy or consulate. You will need to complete an online application form, provide the required documents electronically, such as your scanned passport and a recent photograph, and pay the fee online.
Online visa fees for India, including government fees, vary depending on the type of visa applied for. Here are some examples of government processing fees associated with available e-visas:
- Electronic double-entry tourist visa, valid for 30 days: Government fees are approximately USD $10.25 per applicant.
- Electronic multiple-entry tourist visa, valid for 1 year: Government fees are approximately USD $43.00 per applicant.
- Electronic multiple-entry tourist visa, valid for 5 years: Government fees are approximately USD $83.00 per applicant.
- Multiple-entry electronic business visa, valid for 1 year: Government fees are approximately USD $82.50 per applicant.
It is important to note that these government fees are subject to change and may vary. Additional processing and service fees may also apply when applying for a visa online. Please check the official Indian visa services website for the latest information.
By choosing the online visa, you benefit from a practical and cost-effective option for obtaining your visa for India. The fees associated with online visas are often more competitive than traditional visas, making them an attractive choice for many travellers.
Further information and advice on how to pay less for your visa to India
In addition to the visa fee itself, it is important to consider other possible costs associated with applying for a visa to India. These additional fees may include:
- Processing fees: Some consulates or embassies may charge additional processing fees to process your visa application. These fees vary according to the nationality of the applicant and the specific policy of each consular office.
- Postage costs: If you need to send your documents by post to the embassy or consulate, postage costs may apply. Be sure to check the shipping options available and the associated costs.
When planning your trip to India, it's crucial to factor in the cost of your visa into your overall budget. Here are a few tips to help you:
- Find out in advance: Before you start your trip, find out the current visa fees and factor them into your overall budget. Visa fees can vary depending on a number of factors, so it is essential to obtain up-to-date information.
- Set aside a financial margin: In addition to the visa fee, it is advisable to set aside a financial margin for any unforeseen expenses or additional costs associated with your trip to India.
- Use currency converters: To make it easier to plan your budget, use online currency converters to estimate costs based on your country's currency.