If you're planning a trip to this beautiful country, it's essential to understand the visa application process, particularly the eTA (Electronic Travel Authority) visa and the eVisitor visa. Before you begin the application process, it's important to know the basics about these two types of visa. The eTA visa and the eVisitor visa are electronic means of obtaining authorisation to travel to Australia. Each has its own characteristics and advantages, and we're going to explain in detail what you need to know to make the right choice. On this page, we'll also guide you step-by-step to ensure you complete the form accurately and efficiently.
eTA vs eVisitor: Understanding the differences between these two visas
Before you begin your visa application, it is essential to understand the differences between the eTA visa and the eVisitor visa.
The eTA (Electronic Travel Authority) visa is mainly intended for travellers from specific countries, and is generally granted for tourist, business or family visitor stays. It is electronically linked to your passport and allows stays in Australia of up to 3 months per visit.
The eVisitor visa is reserved for nationals of the European Union and a number of other European countries. It is also valid for tourist, business or family trips, but the duration of stay can be up to 3 months per visit.
Unlike the eTA visa, the eVisitor visa is electronically linked to the passport, which means it is important to ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your stay.
The eligibility criteria vary slightly between the eTA visa and the eVisitor visa. It is essential to understand these criteria to determine which is best for you. Things to consider include nationality, the purpose of your trip (tourism, business, family visit), the intended length of stay in Australia and other conditions specific to each visa. We will provide you with all the information you need to ensure you choose the visa that best suits your situation.
Preparation before completing the online eTA or eVisitor application form
Careful preparation of all the necessary documents and information is crucial to a successful eTA/eVisitor visa application. Here's what you'll need:
- Valid passport: Make sure your passport is valid for the duration of your stay in Australia.
- Personal information: Prepare basic information such as your surname, first name, date of birth, nationality, etc.
- Travel dates: Determine the dates of your trip, including the planned date of entry into Australia.
- Reason for trip: Clearly state the purpose of your visit, whether it is for tourism, business or a family visit.
- Address in Australia: If you already have an address in Australia (for example, a booked hotel), make sure you provide it.
- Flight number: If you have already booked a flight, have your flight number to hand.
Before filling in the online form, make sure you meet the specific eligibility criteria for the eTA visa or the eVisitor visa, depending on your choice. In particular, make sure that you :
- Be a national of a country eligible for the chosen visa.
- Planning a tourist, business or family trip to Australia.
- You intend to travel to Australia temporarily.
Careful preparation and checking of these elements will ensure that you are ready to complete the eTA/eVisitor visa application form successfully.
The different stages involved in completing the eTA or eVisitor form online
The first step in applying for an eTA/eVisitor visa is to enter your personal details. You will need to provide details such as :
- Surname and first name: Your surname (birth name) and first name(s) as they appear on your passport.
- Date of Birth: Your date of birth in day/month/year format.
- Sex: Your sex, generally indicated as "Male" or "Female".
- Nationality: Your nationality, i.e. the country of which you are a citizen.
- Passport number: The number of your passport. Make sure it is legible and valid for the duration of your stay in Australia.
- Passport Issue Date: The date on which your passport was issued.
- Passport Expiry Date: The date on which your passport expires. It must be valid for the duration of your stay in Australia.
- Email address: A valid email address at which you can be contacted for information about your request.
- Telephone number: Your telephone number, including the country code, for any future communication.
After entering your personal details, you will need to choose the type of visa you wish to apply for: eTA or eVisitor. Make sure you select the one that best suits your trip to Australia, depending on your nationality and the purpose of your journey.
This step will ask you for specific information about your trip to Australia, including your expected date of arrival, the length of your stay, and the address where you will be staying in Australia (if available). Be precise in your answers to avoid any problems during your trip.
Once you have completed all the sections of the online form, take the time to check it carefully. Make sure that all the information is correct and that nothing has been omitted. Once you are sure that everything is in order, you can submit your application online. You will then receive a reference number for your application.
Payment of the eTA or eVisitor fee and processing of the application
Once you have submitted your eTA/eVisitor visa application, it is time to pay the visa fee. Online providers offer several payment options, including popular credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Make sure you have a valid payment method to hand to complete the payment process.
The cost of applying for an eTA/eVisitor visa may vary depending on the type of visa you choose and the circumstances of your trip. It is important to know the exact amount of the fee before making payment. Fees are generally reasonable and are necessary to process your application and issue your visa. Be sure to keep proof of payment for your records.
The processing time for your eTA/eVisitor visa application may vary depending on the time of year and the number of applications in progress. In general, applications are processed quickly, but it is advisable to submit your application several weeks before your planned travel date to avoid any last-minute stress.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an application reference number. This is essential for tracking the status of your application online. You can use this number to check whether your visa has been approved and obtain information about your expiry date. This tracking feature is invaluable for planning your trip to Australia with peace of mind.
Tips to avoid common mistakes
When applying for an eTA/eVisitor visa for Australia, it is important to remain vigilant to avoid common mistakes that could lead to delays or problems. Here are some tips for filling in the form accurately:
- Check your personal details: Make sure that all the details you enter are correct and match those on your passport.
- Choose the right type of visa: Select the eTA visa or the eVisitor visa according to your nationality and the nature of your trip.
- Prepare the necessary documents: Gather all the required documents, including a copy of your passport, before starting the application.
- Be precise with your dates: Indicate your travel dates precisely, making sure they match your itinerary.
- Use a valid email address: Make sure you have access to the email address you provide, as this is the main means of communication for your request.